View Single Post
Post # 1   Bookmark and Share Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Travel Expert
Default Thread Title:  David wants to be a meteorologist.

I got the following email from David who has me confused with Stephanie Abrams the meteorologist. We talk about hurricanes, tornadoes, and other weather conditions that have impact on the traveler but we're all about travel and only partly about weather! But I promised David when I got this email that I would get a good answer for him. So watch for the expert answer which I hope we'll have for David pronto!
Here's his question:

Hi Stephanie,

I have a question about being a meteorologist. I have always dreamed of being [on TV], telling the forecast to the great number of people watching. Just like what you do. I am only 13 years old but I am very curious if this would be a good job for me and because we are doing an assignment on what we want to be when we grow up.

First of all, I have heard a meteorologist does not get paid much until they get into somewhere like The Weather Channel. Is that true?
Second, I was wondering what I would have to take in college to be able to give the forecast to people, like what you do.

Third, I was wondering how you got on TV doing the weather. Where did you graduate, what you studied in college, (journalism, etc) and how long you went to college, and where you went after college. Also what are the requirements to be a meteorologist on [TV]?

Lastly, I was wondering if you think it is very possible for me to be on The Weather Channel [or other TV weather show] someday. Do you think being a meteorologist would be a good choice? I hope so much to be on The Weather Channel after college! I would appreciate it so much if you answered this.

Sincerely,

David