Bookmark and Share #1  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Default Shotokan Karate Magazine - "Older Practition" by Bolin Smith

Post your comments, feedback, viewpoints and insights regarding the Shotokan Karate Magazine article Sensei John instructed us to read here.

-D
  Bookmark and Share #2  
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 PM

Flat out I think this was a poor article because it rambles and because I disagree with his view point.

Mr. Smith clearly undervalues the importance and genius of kata and while his viewpoint may have softened and expanded over the years, he still isn't crazy about kata.

From another SKM article I read about South African karate, the experience is a bit difference, so when Mr. Smith talks about Jet Fueled kumite we're talking knock-outs and blood and breaks, a very different experience from the USA/BSKA experience where we hope to avoid injury to ourselves and our sparring partners.

He makes some interesting comments about trying kata different ways, i.e. on the right side, in reverse, adding an extra kick or punch in between each technique. This won't be new to you if you train with Sensei John.

-Dru
  Bookmark and Share #3  
Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM

I have difficulty visualizing what a 180 degree reverse gidan barai would look like after each oi zuki? Can anybody draw this diagram?
Mr. Z always say "slower is better for kata training!"
  Bookmark and Share #4  
Old 12-04-2012, 02:42 AM

I think it would basically be technique 3 from Heian Shodan. I.e. Technique 2 is the oi tzuki, technique 3 you turn clockwise 180 degrees and execute gaidan borai.

I wasn't sure if he meant by "reverse" gaidon borai an ude borai or if he just meant "turn around, gaidan borai".

Either way, though, its not a bad idea to try kata different way or try to transition from every technique into every other techniqe and find new combinations of transitioning from one to the other.

Last edited by drudo; 12-04-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Share this thread on:

Travelers411 Featured Content
Travelers411 Mini Sites
Featured Content

Visit the Travelers411 Directory for
Boston Pops

Click here to visit the Travelers411 Directory for Boston Pops

Click here to listen to Keith Lockhart, Conductor, Boston Pops, Boston, Massachusetts, USA interviewed by Stephanie Abrams without commercials.

Under the direction of Conductor Keith Lockhart the Boston Pops delights audiences each Spring in historic Symphony Hall with the best of broadway, light classical, hits from the silver screen, Jazz, and so much more. For the month of December Symphony Ha ...

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Travelers411 - Travel PR Sidebar Widget

Travel PR from
Boston Pops

Boston Pops

Travel PR From: Boston Pops. Click here to listen now.

It's frightening fun this Halloween with Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops performing the score to Tim Burton's Animated classic "The Nightmare Before Christmas" Halloween eve and Halloween night October 30 and October 31, 2017. ...

Travelers411 Mini Sites

Travel Deal for
Dream Inn Santa Cruz

Ever dream of living on the beach and relaxing? Here's your chance...

Click here for details

Travelers411.com Navigation
Featured Directory:  Dream Inn
Click here to visit the Travelers411 Directory for Dream Inn

A Santa Cruz, California favorite for surfing, sunsets and seafood. Full service beachfront hotel with 165 rooms.

Click here to explore.

The Travelers411 Family of Brands:   Travelers411.com     sAbrams.com     Travelingfeet.com     Jetset411.com

© 2015 Travelers411. All Rights Reserved. Travelers411 is a Registered Trademark. "Your Travel Community" TM. "Explore Your World" TM. Travelers411, all subpages and sub domains are protected by US Copyright law. We strive to respect the Copyrights of others. Please do not post material to this site for which you do not have proper permission from the copyright holder. To request use or report abuse please contact us.